A Better World’s Mission Is To
uplift under-served youth in West Charlotte from a life of adversity by enriching their physical, mental, and spiritual development.
Our Program, During Normal Times
During normal, non-COVID times, we host 65 students at our after-school program. There, they receive:
- Fun, interactive academic lessons from certified teachers
- Access to our cutting-edge reading program, iReady
- Daily devotional lessons to enhance their understanding of and connection to the gospel
- Access to free mental health counseling from Be Well Therapy
- A full dinner every evening before they leave our program
In response to COVID-19, we have altered our program, but our mission of serving underserved youth and families remains the same. To continue serving, we have:
- We have passed out 40,000 meals via delivery and no-contact drive-thru, via partnership with Jim Noble and the Dream Center
- Our students now log onto a virtual after-school program, where they receive all the same benefits as they would in-person, including lessons, devotions, mental health counseling, and lessons targeted to get them on reading level
- Students have access to a two-hour homework help Zoom with a certified teacher to help clarify what they learned in school and provides them with study help
- Our bus delivers toiletries, school supplies, and more to families in need
Want to help?
Providing families with safe, effective and cost-friendly after-school care is critical to our success and the success of our students. Therefore, we rely on donations to keep enriching the lives of our students! Our students are provided with a hot meal five days per week, an iReady account that they can use to improve math and literacy skills, toiletries to last the months, classroom supplies and qualified and caring teachers to meet their needs. Your donation is especially critical given the dire economic straits that our families have found themselves in-they’re leaning on A Better World now more than ever. Please consider donating today!
- Right now, with our program operating virtually, we need reading buddy volunteers!
- Volunteers will meet with a student once per week on Zoom and help them read a book that will be provided to them
- No technological knowledge is needed-we will train you on everything you need to know!
- To volunteer, simply email email@example.com
Stories From Around A Better World
- Thank You To Our Partners At Apparo And Hylaine!
- A Better World Christmas Party!
- Thanksgiving Giveaway!
- The Green Family′s Home
Thank you to everybody who joined us on Facebook Live to watch our kids receive their Christmas gifts! Along with New Leaf Foundation and some key individual donors, we were able to provide more than 350 gifts to underserved families in the community!
We get to share an exciting and uplifting story with you! The Green family, who attended A Better World last year, were in a pretty tough living situation and found themselves looking for a more permanent home. Our Administration and Fundraising Director, Beyonka Fulton, took it upon herself to get them there. Enlisting her community partners, our board member Carl Fochler, and the resources that A Better World has to offer, Beyonka worked tirelessly to find them a home and Carl took them shopping to outfit the house and get the family a brand new closet of clean clothes and furnishings for their home. A very special thank you goes out today to Beyonka and Carl for their relentless support of our families!
If you’d like to volunteer, have a question, or would like to sign up for our newsletter please fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch soon. Thank you for your interest in A Better World.